Thursday, August 12, 2010

Goal hits the Commonwealth Games

As we mentioned on the blog last week, the Commonwealth Games fever has definitely struck Goal Delhi! Earlier in the month, three of our very own Goal Delhi coaches, Richa, Amrita, Sonali, and one of our Goal champions, Anjali Mishra were invited to volunteer at the Test events for the Commonwealth Games 2010 in Delhi.

They all got a chance to first hand experience the 7th Asian Youth Netball Championships held in Thyagraj Indoor Stadium, which has been built solely as a state of the art auditorium to hold netball games. Sonali and Anjali volunteered as Umpire assistants while Richa and Amrita were team liaison officers, for Hong Kong and Malaysia respectively.

Here’s some of their thoughts on their experience:

Sonali: “I was so happy that I was chosen as a volunteer for the Asian Youth Netball Championships. I was amazed to meet all the international technical officials of netball. The entire week was very motivating for me, now I aspire to play netball at the level of these international players that I saw. My aim is to play for the Indian team in next years championships!”

Amrita: “It was my first experience as a liaison officer of an international team (Malaysia). I learned how to manage a team, maintain discipline, keep scores, identify fouls, and manage time. Malaysia’s coach was happy to know that I am also a coach and am coaching community girls. She really appreciated the work I am doing in coaching netball to the girls. I was happy when the Malaysian team, my assignment, won the final! I feel great that I got this wonderful opportunity because it will help me in life and in my own netball game.”




Goal girls at Thygraj stadium


So not only did some of our coaches and a Goal champion get the chance to shadow international netball officials and players, but 25 girls from the Goal program in Kalkaji were taken to the semifinals at Thygraj stadium where India played against Singapore (my two home countries!). Even though India lost the match in the end, the girls had a great time. Here’s what some of them had to say:

“I was happy that I got chance to witness an International event! It was so nice to see that there was no shouting or disrespect shown to fellow members.”- Anupama

“I hope that even I will be able to play like them. I will now put in my best effort to play with this kind of energy!” – Chaya

“I hope that the Goal program runs for another two years so that soon we can reach up to the level of (Coach) Sonali and (Goal champion) Anjali!” - Nandini

All the girls involved in this event in some way or another were inspired to improve their games by watching these international level tournaments. Hopefully soon it will be our girls on the court inspiring countless others around them!

No comments:

Post a Comment