Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Volunteer Story: Deepti

*A letter I received from Deepti, one of our volunteer coordinators in Delhi*

Just to share my experience of being associated with Goal, I have to take you back 2 years down to the nostalgic moment when I first got associated with this programme and was asked to participate in TOT(Train the Trainers)wherein it was told that i have to address and train the community girls who come from an underprivileged backgroundand are not exposed to the outside world.

During my conversation with them, I was amazed at the ooze of excitement and confidence reflected by those girls who have been trained in those sessions and have got tremendous confidence to speak publicly and the zest to live life. In fact, for a moment I thought I was addressing the wrong audience (I assumed them all to be shy, timid). Goal indeed has made their life through netball entirely different and has given them all an opportunity to develop their inherent talents, to educate themselves and to know whats happening around them.

I really consider myself lucky for being associated with this programme and giving my inputs to the girls from time to time as well as learning from them.

Goal has definately taken a right step in the direction of educating and developing not only the girls but also their entire families as it is said, teaching a girl is teaching the whole family and the same gets reflected in the results coming from the initiative.

I would like to highlight what the learned John F Kennedy once said:
Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness; but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.

Indeed Goal is an excellent platform to bring out the girls from their homes and giving them an informal platform to develop the skills of leaders and learning ahead.

Warm Regards
Deepti Suri
Relationship Manager
Premium Banking
Standard Chartered Bank

No comments:

Post a Comment